Child Support

Lehi Child Support Lawyer

Personable and Strategic Representation for Parents in Highland, Utah County, and Salt Lake County

At SeegLawUtah, we represent parents navigating complex child support matters. We have a range of child support experience, from filing an initial petition to working with the Administrative Office of Recovery Services (ORS). Whether you seek to take your child support matter to court or file through the ORS instead, we have the experience and skill necessary to guide you efficiently through the process. We know how to win, and we will mold a case that meets your interests and needs. We will also foster a personable office environment so you can feel comfortable discussing the ins and outs of your case with our lawyer.

Let’s get started on your child support case in Lehi, Utah. Contact SeegLawUtah for a consultation.

Calculating Child Support

Both parents have the legal obligation to provide for their minor children in some capacity. Typically, the noncustodial parent will be the one to pay child support to the custodial parent, who in turn spends these funds on the child’s care. 

Child support is calculated according to Utah’s Child Support Guidelines, which examines the gross monthly income of both parents and the number of overnights the child spends with each parent. Gross monthly income includes income from all sources, such as salaries and wages, rent, pensions, alimony received, and Social Security benefits. If a parent does not work, the court may impute (assign) income to that parent based on what they are capable of earning and their employment history. 

After establishing each parent’s gross monthly income and how many nights a year the child spends with each parent, they should consult the Child Support Guidelines that has a chart for the expected support amount based on these factors.

It is possible for the court to deviate from the amount calculated above, though, if either parent requests a deviation and shows good reason for a change. The court will examine the following factors to determine whether to adjust the amount:

  • each parent’s relative wealth and income;
  • the abilities of the paying and receiving parent to earn income;
  • each parent’s standard of living;
  • the needs of both parents and the child;
  • whether either parent supports other children;
  • the age of each parent.

Enforcing and Modifying an Order

Child support orders are court orders that must be followed. For instance, a custodial parent may not withhold the other parent’s visitation time just because they have not paid their child support. Likewise, a parent may not withhold child support. If the order is not being followed by either party, a parent can file a motion with the court asking them to enforce the order. An enforcement order may include a judgment for money the other parent owes, as well as possible penalties (fines, jail time) for disobeying the court order.

Perhaps a parent missed payments because their employment situation has changed. If circumstances have changed since the child support order was last issued, either parent has the right to petition for a modification of the order. Note that the modification will still depend on each parent’s income, which means the amount they must pay may increase or decrease.

Child support can be a confusing matter. However, SeegLawUtah can make the process a little easier for you to navigate. Whether you intend to take your child support case to court or through the ORS instead, our firm is prepared to help. We will provide the compassionate and personable support you need to resolve such a sensitive and consequential matter.

Schedule a consultation with SeegLawUtah online to get started.